I’ve added new photoshoots of Christian Bale did for the ‘The Dark Knight Rises’ movie last year to the gallery! Thanks to Baleheadsblog for them!
The Dark Knight Rises
Studio in crisis-management mode in wake of deadly shootings
Forced by tragedy to re-evaluate its marketing and PR plans for “The Dark Knight Rises,” Warner Bros. was poised to cancel the remainder of the pic’s international press tour.
The studio also lost a significant amount of marketing exposure for the pic on Friday as TV spots for the pic were dropped by numerous networks out of viewer-sensitivity concerns. There were reports that Warner Bros. had taken steps to limit some of its TV marketing for the pic but that was strongly denied by sources close to the situation in Burbank.
The scramble on Friday came hours after a gunman killed 12 people and wounded more than 70 others at a midnight screening of “Dark Knight” in the Denver suburb of Aurora, Colo.
With media coverage of the shooting blanketing the airwaves on Friday, Warner Bros. execs went into crisis-management mode as they reviewed promo and marketing plans for the pic in light of the massacre. The studio moved quickly to cancel Friday’s scheduled premiere of the pic in Paris, and by day’s end a source with knowledge of the situation said it was leaning toward tabling the rest of its international press tour.
The studio had not made an official announcement of its international plans as of late Friday afternoon. However, WB is expected to cancel next week’s premieres and press junkets that have been scheduled for Mexico City and Tokyo. The events would have featured red-carpet premieres with stars such as Christian Bale and Anne Hathaway along with screenings of the film.
In the frenzy of news coverage of the shooting rampage on Friday morning, some nets proactively decided to pull the spots that had been set to run for the pic. There were conflicting reports as to whether Warner Bros. eventually asked for all blurbs to be pulled for the weekend or whether some nets took the initiative on their own.
Sources at two of the Big Four broadcast nets said the studio made a request to pull “Dark Knight” spots that had been set to run this weekend. However, this was disputed to sources close to the studio, who insisted that all marketing efforts that were already in place before the shootings would proceed as planned. In most cases, spots that were pulled by the nets will be reskedded to run at a later date.
The loss of millions of dollars worth of commercials during the pic’s opening weekend is a vivid illustration of how significant an impact the mass shooting will have on the tentpole that had been the cornerstone of Warner Bros.’ summer movie sked. One marketing expert estimated the value of the film’s TV spots on its opening weekend at $3 million-$5 million.
“The Dark Knight Rises” will play in theaters as scheduled, as Warner Bros. has decided not to cancel any screenings of the film after a shooting early Friday morning that claimed 12 lives and left 59 wounded.
The massacre at the Aurora, Colo., Century 16 theater is among the largest mass shootings in U.S. history.
“We are not cancelling any screenings or showings of the film,” Warner Bros. spokeswoman Sue Fleischman said.
The studio will continue to monitor the situation and has not made any decisions about changing its marketing approach.
NBC, CSB and ESPN have pulled ads for the movie.
Despite Friday s tragedy, Christopher Nolan’s final Batman film is still expected to set a box office record. It is on pace to gross well more than $150 million in the U.S. this weekend, and some projections go as high as $200 million.
The film rolled out on 3,700 screens for midnight Thursday screenings, and is set to be seen in a total of 4,404 theaters, with a record 332 Imax screens.
“The Dark Knight Rises” is Warner Bros.’ biggest release of the year, thus far. It was expected by box office analysts to open between $170 million and $195 million. That would make it the best U.S. opening ever for a non-3D movie.
The film is also set to roll out on 6,765 screens overseas in 17 territories.
Dark Cloud Cast Over ‘Dark Knight Rises’ Premieres
Anne Hathaway, Morgan Freeman,Christian Bale and director Christopher Nolan have pulled out of interviews and at least one “Dark Knight Rises” premiere in Paris has been canceled in the wake of the Denver movie theater shooting rampage.
The highly anticipated film, which was expected to be the one of the summer’s biggest blockbusters, has become another victim of the shooting. No evidence so far has surfaced that the film was the motive behind suspected shooter James Holmes’ actions.
Warner Bros.canceled “The Dark Knight Rises” Paris premiere tonight, and French actressMarion Cotillard also canceled an evening French television appearance, according to The Hollywood Reporter. Cast members have also canceled interviews.
“Warner Bros. is deeply saddened to learn about this shocking incident. We extend our sincere sympathies to the families and loved ones of the victims at this tragic time,” the studio said in a statement.
European theaters screening the film are reportedly beefing up security in the wake of the shooting, according to the trade publication.
“As a precaution against copycats and to raise the comfort levels among movie patrons in the wake of the horrendous shooting in Colorado,” NYPD Commissioner Ray Kelly said in a statement that police would provide extra security at New York theaters.
Source: The Improper
The Dark Knight Rises scored a healthy $30.6 million at midnight screenings Friday, the second highest opening on record, according to studio estimates.
How the massacre at an Aurora, Colo., theater showing the film affects the rest of its commercial run is up in the air, analysts say.
“There’s a distinct possibility that the movie could get hurt, especially among families who were going to turn out,” says Jeff Bock of Exhibitor Relations, an industry ticket-tracking firm.
Bock says that the film’s violent tone may be too much for some audiences, especially those who keep up with current events.
“The movie is so dark, it could be hard for people to put their minds around this.”
Analysts predicted the film would take in $150 million this weekend. Many tickets were purchased online in advance of the opening. The following weeks will determine whether real life has overshadowed fantasy, says Paul Dergarabedian of Hollywood.com.
“The interest was so high, the weekend was pretty much pre-bought,” Dergarabedian says. “But we’ve never had anything like this happen in a theater, so it’s impossible to say the effect.”
A spokesman for Warner Bros., the film’s distributor, said Friday there were no plans to remove the film from theaters.
The film is opening on 3,825 screens, included 330 IMAX screens.
The top 10 midnight openings, according to Hollywood.com:
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2, $43.5 million
The Dark Knight Rises, $30.6 million
The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn — Part 1, $30.3 million
The Twilight Saga: Eclipse, $30 million
The Twilight Saga: New Moon, $26.3 million
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1, $24 million
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, $22.2 million
The Hunger Games, $19.7 million
The Avengers, $18.7 million
The Dark Knight, $18.5 million
Star Wars: Episode III — Revenge of the Sith, $16.9 million
Source: USA Today
I’ve added new event photos of Christian Bale attends the European premiere of ‘The Dark Knight Rises’ at Odeon Leicester Square on July 18, 2012 in London, England.
- (x149) Events in 2012: ‘The Dark Knight Rises’ London Premiere – July 18